Reports To: Engineering Manager Department: Engineering
Hours: Varies Job Status: Full Time, Salary
Occasional After Hours Required, possible On-Call Engineer Rotation
A System Engineer is a multi-faceted engineering position providing support in a variety of areas. A System Engineer is a highly technical position dedicated to the delivery of technical services meeting the high quality of Citon’s standards. With a focus on the quick response, diagnosis and resolution of customer issues, and the support of long-term customer projects, the schedule of a System Engineer but will fluctuate on a weekly basis based on the needs of the company and its customers.
Daily documentation and reporting of labor time, customer and configuration information, and services provided are a daily requirement and crucial to the services provided by Citon. All communication, scheduling, and follow-up with customers is coordinated through Citon’s Service Manager.
The System Engineer Primary Responsibilities include:
1) The application of System analysis techniques and procedures, including consulting with users, to determine hardware, software or system functional specifications;
2) The design, development, documentation, analysis, creation, testing or modification of computer System or programs, including prototypes, based on and related to user or system design specifications;
3) The design, documentation, testing, creation or modification of computer programs related to machine operating System;
The System Engineer will also perform duties, as needed, on Citon’s internal network, including server health checks, routine maintenance and upgrades, quality control checks on Citon’s built PCs, and other technical duties as required.
A System Engineer is an entry level engineering position, requiring good computer and networking knowledge and skills, a strong attention to detail, and a high level of diagnostic and problem solving skills. System Engineers design, install, maintain, troubleshoot and repair all equipment and System supported by Citon
Employee evaluation will be conducted after completion of a 90-day probationary period. Future evaluations will be performed on an annual basis, or upon change of job status. Compensation is based upon prior experience and knowledge, performance on the job, growth and learning on the job, and completion of industry certifications.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with Network Engineering and Project Management staff to provide project support for engineers, such as:
- Server build, parts installation and configuration
- OS load and patching according to Microsoft and industry best practices
- Virtualization software load and configuration
- Additional project prep work and support as requested by engineering and pm.
- Sight prep for new installations, such as racks, UPSs, cabling, etc.
- Daily backup review for Citon.
- Provide phone support to Citon customers, including remote desktop and server support.
- Monitor and perform routine server health checks for maintenance customers.
- Review, follow-up on and complete assigned activities in ticketing system
- Escalate repeated or unresolved service tickets to the Service Manager and/or Engineering Manager.
- Build, image, test and/or deploy Citon appliances according to customer specifications.
- Quality control testing of computers built by employee and other builders.
- Work with manufacturers to design solutions to new challenges and/or issues that arise.
- Entering time, scanning documentation, updating configuration records and activities and updating of ticket status must be done as the work is bring completed. All scheduled items must be updated by the end of each day.
- Attend weekly engineering meeting/training.
- Manage config changes of monitoring/management software to ensure highest level of support.
- Assist with support calls for managed service customers by providing either phone or on-site support.
- Keep up to date on the latest technologies, tools and resources and be willing to test new ideas occasionally after hours.
- Provide and analyze reports on the health and service history of customers.
Skills, Knowledge, Education
- Strong written and excellent verbal communication skills – must be able to communicate in a clear and concise manner with customers.
- Attention to detail is imperative. Must be able to sort through data to determine appropriate conclusions, and ensure that every step of a task is completed.
- Must be able to follow direction and ask questions where specific steps have not been given. However, ability to grow and become more self-reliant is important.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality and discretion.
- Ability to balance quantity of work with quality of work is important.
- Reliability in completion of tasks is imperative.
- Must maintain a valid driver’s license and provide own method of transportation to customer sites.
- Must adhere to Citon professional dress code
- Must show a willingness to take on new tasks, learn new skills and assist other engineers in a positive team environment.
- Ability to follow though until issues are confirmed resolved is imperative
- Ability to provide thorough and timely documentation is essential
- Must maintain professional and positive attitude and demeanor in verbal and written communication with customers.
- Must learn and understand workstation, server, security, wireless, network infrastructure, etc System and topologies that Citon sells and services.
- General knowledge of the IT industry and products.
- Knowledge and experience with a minimum of 1 industry standard operating System.
- Minimum of 2 years computer /networking experience is desired but not required.
- High School education or GED. Post secondary education a plus.
- Should possess at least one pertinent vendor certification.
- Continued vendor training and certification specific to position will be required.
Other duties as required. Job description is subject to change based on customer and company’s changing needs.
If you’re ready to advance your career, submit your cover letter, resume, and desired salary range to firstname.lastname@example.org today.